Since 1995, the infamous Megavalanche DH marathon race has been synonymous with big all-mountain riding. Starting at the highest point on Pic Blanc (3300m) above the village of Alpe D’Huez, it is seen as the pinnacle of mass start mountain bike racing around the world.
Originally conceived in 2009 as the perfect bike for this exact style of racing, the Nukeproof Mega was born. Now in its 4th evolution the Mega should need no introduction. It has tasted success within multiple disciplines and has numerous national and international race wins to its name.
Designed to excel on the toughest enduro tracks, the gravity focused Mega will inspire confidence on the most technical descents whilst maintaining pedalling efficiency for all-day epics in the saddle.
The RS model is the hooligan spec option in the range, with a host of upgrades to make it burlier than the rest. It features a +10mm Rockshox Lyrik Ultimate RCT3 forks (180mm) up front, a Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate RCT rear shock, our award-winning carbon handlebars, 4 Pot Code RSC brakes (With Sintered Pads), a SRAM XO1 Eagle Drivechain with Carbon Descendant Cranks and Mavic’s brand new Deemax DH wheelset.
Brand new 29” Frame
For 2020 we decided to make some changes and bring the Mega 290 bang up to date. The 29” frame is finally available in two material options: Full alloy or Carbon fibre front triangle with an alloy rear triangle. Both options feature updated geometry, increased travel and a revised suspension kinematic.
Updated Geometry and Suspension
The brand new 29” frame uses a short offset 170mm fork paired with 160mm of rear travel to create a proper monster-truck of a bike. To accommodate these changes, we updated the geometry by slackening the head angle and steepening the seat angle versus the previous version. We also revised the suspension kinematic to make the bike as fast as possible; improving the small bump sensitivity, improved mid stroke support for more predictable cornering/pumping and increased end stroke progression to inspire confidence through the roughest terrain.
High in Fibre
Utilising a blend of the highest quality carbon fibre composites, the Mega 290 Carbon has been hand crafted with 1 goal in mind… winning!
Not only is the chassis now significantly lighter than its aluminium counterpart, the strength, stiffness and reliability of the frame has been vastly improved enabling every rider to push harder, faster and with more confidence than ever before.
Tested and podium proven on the toughest of terrain and in the most varied conditions by 2x Enduro World Series Winner Sam Hill, the 2020 Mega 290 sets out to tackle every ride with its trademark attitude.
ON SALE: MID DECEMBER
- Frame: Nukeproof Mega 290 Carbon, 160mm Travel, ultra-strong monocoque UD woven Carbon Fibre front triangle, custom triple butted hydro-formed tube set for seat stays and chain stays, Factory fitted clear paint protection kit covers TT/DT/CS/SS, Internal cable routing, Enduro Bearings, Threaded 73mm BB , Boost 148mm rear axle spacing, 3D contoured frame protection
- Fork: RockShox Lyrik Ultimate Charger 2 RC2 180mm, 42mm Offset, BOOST, Debonair, Gloss Red
- Shock: RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate RCT, Custom ML 380 tune, 230×62.5mm, Bearing End (We recommend most riders use 1x bottomless token but the shock comes with 2 tokens fitted, so you have an extra if needed.)
- Front Wheel: Mavic Deemax DH, 29″, 6 Bolt, 110x15mm
- Rear Wheel: Mavic Deemax DH, 29″, 6 Bolt, XD Driver, 148x12mm
- Tyres: Front: Michelin Wild Enduro 29″ x 2.4, MAGI-X TS TLR, Rear: Michelin Wild Enduro 29″ x 2.4, GUM-X TS TLR
- Crankset: SRAM Descendant Carbon Eagle 12-Speed, 170mm, 30T, B148, DUB
- Shifter: SRAM XO1 Eagle 12-Speed, Red
- Rear Deraileur: SRAM XO1 Eagle 12-Speed, Red
- Chain: SRAM GX Eagle 12-Speed
- Cassette: SRAM XO1 Eagle 12-Speed, CS PG1295 EAGLE 10-50T
- Brakes: SRAM Code RSC
- Front Rotor: SRAM Centreline, 200mm
- Rear Rotor: SRAM Centreline, 180mm
- Handlebars: Nukeproof Horizon Carbon 25mm Rise, Width – S780mm, M780mm, ML780mm, L800mm, XL800mm)
- Stem: Nukeproof Horizon, 50mm, Black
- Saddle: Nukeproof Horizon SL, Red
- Seatpost: RockShox Reverb Stealth with 1x Remote, 31.6mm; S: 346mm length, 125mm drop; M: 409mm length, 150mm drop; ML: 409mm length, 150mm drop; L: 462mm length, 175mm drop; XL: 514.5mm length, 200mm drop
- Headset: Nukeproof, 44-56 IITS
- Grips: Nukeproof Sam Hill Signature
|Mega 290 Carbon|
|Material:||Ultra Strong T700/800 Monocoque Carbon Fibre|
|Fork Travel:||170mm (RS 180mm)|
|Axle to Crown:||582mm (RS 591mm)|
|Max Tyre Size:||2.5″|
|Shock Hardware F:||25x8mm|
|Shock Hardware R:||30x8mm|
|Headtube:||44-56mm Tapered Semi-Integrated|
|Headset:||ZS44-28.6 – T2 / ZS56/40 – B8|
|Bearings Required:||2x NP-5 (6902 2RS), 4x NP-7 (6800 2RS), 4x NP-9 (61802-2RS1 EXTENDED)|
|Seatpost:||31.6mm (Internal Routing for Dropper Seatpost)|
|BB:||Threaded 73mm BSA|
|Rear Hub:||Boost 148x12mm|
|Rear Axle:||Sram Maxle Stealth M12x1.75 180mm|
|Brake Mount:||160mm Direct Post|
|Protection:||3D Contoured Rubber Frame Protection for DT/SS/CS|
|Mega 290 RS (Carbon)|
|Frame Size cm/Inch||42cm (16.5″)||46cm (18″)||51cm (20″)|
|Recommended Rider Height (Imperial)||5′ 9″ – 6′||6′ – 6′ 4″||6′ 4″ – 6′ 8″|
|Recommended Rider Height (Metric)||175 – 185cm||185 – 195cm||195 – 205cm|
|Recommended Inside Leg (Imperial)||30″ – 32″||32″ – 34″||34″ – 36″|
|Recommended Inside Leg (Metric)||76 – 81cm||81 – 86cm||86 – 92cm|
|(ST) Seattube Length||420mm / 16.5″||450mm / 18″||480mm / 19″|
|(TTe) Effective Top Tube Length||602mm||620mm||667mm|
|(HT) Headtube Length||100mm||110mm||120mm|
|(Ha) Headtube Angle||64°||64°||64°|
|(CS) Chainstay Length||450mm||450mm||450mm|
|(STe) Effective Seattube Angle||76.3°||76.3°||76.3°|
|(BB) Bottom Bracket Drop||-27mm||-27mm||-27mm|
|Bottom Bracket Height||339mm||339mm||339mm|
|Axle to Crown||591mm||591mm||591mm|
|Seat Post Diameter||31.6mm||31.6mm||31.6mm|
|Bottom Bracket Type||Threaded 73mm BSA||Threaded 73mm BSA||Threaded 73mm BSA|
|Headset Type||ZS 44mm/56mm Semi Integrated||ZS 44mm/56mm Semi Integrated||ZS 44mm/56mm Semi Integrated|